See what I did there?...sorry... couldn't not write it. =0)
My hands are a series of healing cuts,bleeding slices and scars. Blood sweat and tears has been poured into this project; I found it only fitting to sign my art with "gusher" of my own soul. (Authors note: A "gusher"is a form of bleeding I have classified into stages during this build. A "weeper" is a slow one, a "pourer" slightly more; a "gusher" is just below "squirter"..which lucky hasn't transpired....yet!
12 days of stormy weather had given me time to pick away at the kayak. Ending a career, downsizing my life, has really taken over my thoughts this past month. Worrying about some distant future where things are not working out in life; seems to be a unintentional favorite pass time of the right side of my brain. Firing up the kayaking part of my brain seems to dull the roar of horriable things that hasn't ( and most likely never will) even happened.
As I finished carving up one piece of the front stem of the kayak; I bumped into the woodhorse.....and down she came. A cracked aft stem piece. I uttered "fudge" (I dunno why I didn't use my preferred Fuck or other colourful profanity.) I guess it's the fact of knowing that anything that breaks on this is fixable. It isn't like a vehicle that will cost me hundreds of dollars out of the blue; or paying a qualified person to fix it for me. I am that qualified guy! I hauled out some clamps and some waterproof wood glue and patched her up. I was about to peg in the rear stem anyway. .....Fudge.
Having to wait for some glue to dry I texted Rob and luckly he was home and waiting for me to pop over to use his table saw. We cut some 1/8ths of maple I had to begin work on the coaming. While late at night I figured I would get them cut and start in the morning.
Upon getting home I quickly set up a temporary jig to see if I could get away with not making one out of wood. I steamed each piece of maple and bent it into the jig. Worked like a charm! I had decided that I was going to go with a D shaped cockpit as seen on various Hudson strait and Labrador kayaks.
After the strips cooled into a state where they more or less remained in the bent shape; I applied glue to one side and clamped it tightly every inch or so. Tomorrow I will glue the other side, join it to the strait rear peice, and put some smaller strips around the top of the coaming to secure a skirt.
Then I sew the skin!